The only day I can feel justified in doing this...
I took this day not only to celebrate the complete awesomeness of Nutella, but also to use it as an excuse to make some yummy food.
Thought I'd share...
Nutella Pinwheels:(dough recipe from Sunset Pies and Pastries)
Makes: About 3 dozen
- 1 c. (1/2 pound) unsalted butter
- 1 package or 2-1/4 tsp. active dry yeast
- 1/4 c. warm water (approximately 110° F)
- 4 yolks (save the whites and make this)
- 1/4 c. white granulated sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
- 1 5 1/3 fl. oz. can evaporated milk (approximately 160 mL)
- 3 1/3 c. all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 c. Nutella
- 2 tbsp. half and half
1. Heat the butter in a small saucepan until completely melted; let cool to 110° F.
2. In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast in the water and mix to combine. Stir in 3 egg yolks, 1/4 c. white granulated sugar , salt, evaporated milk and cooled butter.
3. In a large bowl, place 3 1/3 c. flour. Pour in the yeast mixture and stir to combine.
4. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 day and up to 3 days.
5. Punch down dough, roll into a thickness of about 1/8". Cut into 3"x3" squares.
I. Take a little square and place it on parchment.
II. Use your weapon of choice to cut the corners at a 45° angle (about [√18]/3 inches long, which is about 1.5 inches for you less precise people)III. Spoon on a dollop (1-2 tsp.) of Nutella into the middle.
7. Let chill in the fridge for 10 minutes, then to rise in a warm area for 20 minutes.
8. Preheat oven to 375° F.
9. In a small bowl, combine the last egg yolk and the half and half. Whisk to mix.
10. Brush over the tops of the pastries and sprinkle them with sugar. With the tip of the handle of a spoon, punch in near the areas where the arms of the pinwheels meet, like this:
11. Bake for about 10 minutes, until golden brown.
12. Let cool, then enjoy with a mug of Nutella hot cocoa:
Nutella Hot Chocolate for One:(recipe adapted from here)
- 1 c. (8 fl. oz.) Vanilla Soymilk (feel free to use milk. I didn't because the smell of warm milk grosses me out)
- 1 generous spoonful (1 1/2 - 2 tbsp.) Nutella
2) When the milk is steaming hot, take a spoonful of Nutella and stir it in.
Have a wonderful Nutella Day!