|Lighting = Bad; Photoediting thing = Not working :'(|
Blueberry Velvet Cake:
(recipe from here)
For the Cake:
For the Frosting:
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, use a mixer to beat butter until creamy. Slowly add in the sugar and mix until fluffy.
- Mix in eggs, one at a time, fully incorporating before each one. Then add the vanilla extract.
- Add in the blue food coloring. Make it a little darker than you want the cake to be since the addition of flour will make the color less intense.
- Mix in 1/3 of the flour mixture, then 1/2 of the milk, another 1/3 of the flour mixture, the rest of the milk, and then the rest of the flour.
- Add in blueberries; mix gently with spatula.
- Grease 2* cake pans and then divide the batter evenly into them.
- Bake for 35-40* minutes.
- For the frosting, combine the vanilla, butter and cream cheese and beat with a mixer until well combined.
- Add the powdered sugar and mix until combined.
- Frost the cakes when they are cool.
*Nextime I Make This, I Will:
-Use 3 cake pans to make a triple-layer cake: To make the cake flat enough to frost, I ended up having to trim almost half of it off. I was NOT a happy camper. I didn't want to waste the trimmings, so after eating my weight in them, I chopped them and stuck 'em to the outer edge of the cake. A little sloppy looking, so a triple layer will be better next time.
-Use less food coloring: The intensity of the blue was decreased a little after adding the flour, but I think I overdid the food coloring. Instead of making an appetizing blue, I ended up with a choking-Smurf blue.
-Tweak the sugar: I found the cake so sweet that it kind of made the blueberries taste more tart than they did alone. Nonetheless, a good cake recipe.