Cranberry Sauce Scones:
(recipe adapted from here)
- Preheat your oven to 425°. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Add the zest. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender until pieces are no larger than peas.
- In a small bowl, combine the half-and-half and the egg. Beat well. Add the cranberry sauce, combine, and then pour into the bowl with the dry ingredients. Combine until all the dough is moistened, and then add the sugar.
- Knead the dough gently until everything is incorporated (but don't knead it too much or the scones won't be soft).
- Drop the dough by spoonfuls onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Use a brush to coat each scone with half-and-half.
- Bake until light golden brown, 10-15 minutes depending on the size of the scones.
I was never really a fan of zesty/citrusy sweets, but I'm in love because of this recipe. Seriously. They were good. I think I might make some chocolate chip-orange scones sometime.
Ohh, and I bet any jam could be subbed in for cranberry sauce since I doubt anyone has any left. It'd probably work cup-for-cup since they are pretty similar. I bet blueberry preserves would go well with the citrus zest...
(And one more picture here....)
Happy baking! I hope everyone's weekend is nothing but awesomeness!