Saturday, December 1, 2012

Adventures in Baking #4: Leftover Cranberry Sauce Scones

This probably sounds gross, but my house still has leftover cranberry sauce from Thanksgiving since all of the turkey was used for pot pies and tacos and stuff. I felt really bad wasting all of that cranberry sauce, so I made scones! (Which was perfect because my mom bought me an adorable teapot so we've been doing "teatime" pretty often :-) )


Cranberry Sauce Scones:
(recipe adapted from here)

Ingredients:

  • 2 c. all-purpose flour


  • 2 tsp. baking powder


  • 1/2 tsp. salt


  • 4 tbsp. butter, cold, cut into small cubes


  • 1 egg


  • 1/2 c. half-and-half, plus more for glazing


  • 1/2 c. cranberry sauce


  • 1 tsp. tangerine zest


  • 1 tsp. cinnamon


  • 1/3 c. sugar

  • Method:
    1. Preheat your oven to 425°. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Add the zest. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender until pieces are no larger than peas.
    2. In a small bowl, combine the half-and-half and the egg. Beat well. Add the cranberry sauce, combine, and then pour into the bowl with the dry ingredients. Combine until all the dough is moistened, and then add the sugar.
    3. Knead the dough gently until everything is incorporated (but don't knead it too much or the scones won't be soft).
    4. Drop the dough by spoonfuls onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Use a brush to coat each scone with half-and-half.
    5. Bake until light golden brown, 10-15 minutes depending on the size of the scones.
    Yummy!
    I was never really a fan of zesty/citrusy sweets, but I'm in love because of this recipe. Seriously. They were good. I think I might make some chocolate chip-orange scones sometime.

    Ohh, and I bet any jam could be subbed in for cranberry sauce since I doubt anyone has any left. It'd probably work cup-for-cup since they are pretty similar. I bet blueberry preserves would go well with the citrus zest...
    (And one more picture here....)


    Happy baking! I hope everyone's weekend is nothing but awesomeness!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment